Sunny days in Washington in February are... heavenly.
Of course, the only time I am "out" in the sun is when I'm in the car, transporting any number of children to and fro, but it still counts. As I was picking up Aiden from kindergarten at noon, I noticed Alysia had dozed off in the sunlight in her warm, cozy car seat. Aiden seemed to be channeling the energy of the rays and beaming from ear to ear, as always. It got me thinking about how the sunny and rainy days in our lives affect us.


Growing up in the NW, I've always loved the rain. I love it partly because the lush green trees and plants I've always known wouldn't exist without it. But mostly, I love that rainy days seem to be God's way of saying, "Snuggle in and enjoy some hot chocolate on me today." But sometimes, rain is inconvenient. It gets our shoes wet, ruins the best of hairstyles, and leads to muddy footprints through the house. At soccer games, it soaks all four children to the waist, and means everyone rides home cold, with the smell of wet, funky kid. It is a necessary drudgery we put up with because we know it makes our corner of the world more beautiful.
Sunny days lift our moods and brighten our outlooks. They invigorate us and remind us how good it feels to have those rays warm our skin. But if it weren't for the months of blustery wind and chilly rain, I don't think the sun would feel quite so nice on our shoulders.
The dark, stormy, difficult days in our lives can take us by surprise. They are often inconvenient - interfering with our plans, soaking our spirits, and dampening our hearts. We don't get to choose when the rain starts, or when it stops. Frankly, if we knew for certain when the storm would pass, our hearts probably wouldn't feel as light when the sun came out. Part of the joy the sun brings is in the surprising relief we feel when it arrives after the dreariness.
The gift of sunshine is made precious by the rain. -- Richard M. Romney
|
0 comments: