The reminders of our children's influence come in funny ways. For instance, we were never big believers in baby talk. We always used proper names for people, places, and things. Yet our children have permanently changed our family vocabulary.
As a toddler, Kylie couldn't pronounce her Nana's dog's name - Sebastian. He became Mambis. If it weren't for Kiara's vast creativity, none of the dozens of stuffed animals living in our home would have names. Aiden couldn't say the word "pacifer" so he called it "ay-ee".
Because Alysia is right smack in the middle of this phase, and her siblings are all aware of her language development, she has had the most influence. She not only changes words for us, but for her siblings as well. She created the name we all use for her now: Leela (because she couldn't say Alysia). When we all kiss each other goodbye or goodnight, (and even in our texts) we use her version of "I love you"... "Luh loo."
Lately, I must not be smiling enough, because several times each day, Alysia will tell me, "Mile, mama!" after which I give her a big cheesy grin, which makes her giggle. If I remember my psych theory class accurately, I'm pretty sure she's implementing some very effective operant conditioning when she rewards my compliance with her giggles. I'd call that a win-win.
Even as an admitted control-freak, I appreciate the knowledge that in a house full of 4 intelligent, active children, Aaron and I are the learners as often as we are the teachers. Selectively indulging their demands reminds us of their perspective on the world, which always embodies more fun and less drudgery.
As I type this, Alysia has her face pressed up against the side of my lap top saying, "I want some white cheese, Mama.... Mama, I want some white cheese!" She has said it at least 7 times. Who do you think will win this round? Let me know. I've got to go get some white cheese.


0 comments: