I believe that an important part of keeping a journal is documenting our triumph over the challenges of life. But journals kept for the purpose of recording family history for posterity (or journals kept on a blog) are not private. So the question becomes... how much of the challenge do I document while I am waiting for the triumph??
But then I remember that anyone who has access to these words also has access to my heart and my spirit. This journal is not public. It is shared only with friends and family who have been privy to the ups and downs of Burdge life already. But I still strive to maintain a balance between acknowledging struggles and feeding negative energy.
Suffice it to say that today's trial du jour is that there is a significant imbalance between money owed and money earned. Since Aaron's job loss last summer, we can't even say he's 'unemployed.' He still works teaching college classes, but the salaries do not compare at all. So I guess he is officially 'underemployed.' Add to that the additional expenses of providing health insurance for our giant brood, and you see where we are.
I am still not entirely past my 'obligatory 20-second pout' that my husband acknowledges is reasonable whenever a person hits a significant road-block. But the fact that I am able to journal about it without bawling is progress. So today I began the day grateful that I had recommitted to scripture study for the new year, and sought peace in The Comforter.
I received an email from my mom with the following quoted words of wisdom:
God’s Word is filled with treasures and promises that bring life, love and change into our lives.
- Identify the issue that needs a promise
- Find a promise in the Bible to speak over your situation
- Believe God’s Word, no matter what
- Be persistent in confessing the promise.
The issue: financial need.
The promise: My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).
I believe it. I will choose to affirm it again and again as long as the Adversary would have me believe otherwise. And I will choose to focus on what I have rather than what I lack.
I have 5 people in my house who love me and I love them. I have 4 beautiful children who are healthy, happy, intelligent disciples of Christ. I have a husband who is the calm in the storm, the strength in my weakness, who has a gift for when to push and when to comfort. I have a mother who raised me to trust in God and have confidence in who He created me to be. I have a best friend who is the most empathic encouraging sister-friend I've ever had. I have an extended family of in-laws who are a fiercely loyal bunch. I am surrounded by a faithful ward family who constantly remind me that it is possible to find joy in the journey. I have a testimony of a Savior who knows the intensity of my trials and serves as my advocate. And I have a Father in Heaven who opens the windows of heaven and pours me out blessings. I am richly blessed!
2 comments:
Trina, You have such a way with words. I know your faith is strong and things WILL work out. Keep on keepin on girl!! :) Love ya!
I really love the new format! One brave girl to write trials filtered through eyes of faith.
Love ya Mom<3