Author: Trina
•4:52 PM
A while back, I posted about accepting the imperfections of life and finding joy in the moment.  I wish I were better at that.  I've thought several times about updating my blog in recent months but my compulsion to produce a perfectly-composed entry with accompanying images has led me to procrastinate even more.  Good grief.  Get over yourself already.  This blog is no more meant to be perfect than life is meant to be perfect.  Journaling is about documenting my experiences - unpolished, open-ended, and in-progress, just as they are.


We had a wonderful Christmas.  We spent several days with my family and were treated to great experiences.  Grandma Lori took us big girls on a Christmas tour of the historic Pittock Mansion in Portland.  









Then she took us to Papa Hayden's for their famous desserts.  For those of us who rarely eat out, and never get to the gourmet restaurants, it was a rare treat.  Their food is incredible and beautiful.


We got to spend some time with my grandma, my uncle, and my cousin.  We took our first annual Family Walking Tour of Neighborhood Christmas Lights.




Then at Nana's we did a different fun family activity every day.  Swimming, 3 different movies, and the thrill of the Littles' week - Chuck E. Cheese.



Nana started our Christmas time together with a family lesson about the true meaning of Christmas and its symbols.  She talked about how our gift to the Lord is serving others.  For each nice thing the kids did to help someone else during our visit, they got to put a bow on the present for the Savior.  They really got in the spirit of the season.




We spent New Year's Eve with Aaron's family in Kirkland.  Getting to spend time like that with all of the cousins, aunts, uncles, and Aaron's mom doesn't happen as often as we would like, but it is so fun when it does. We finally came back home from our nearly-2-week adventure on New Year's Day.  

Now we are back in the swing of our routine.  Aiden started his first season of Pee Wee basketball.  Since they were still looking for coaching volunteers, Aaron agreed to coach Aiden's team, despite not being entirely confident in his sport skills.  He is finding he enjoys it.  It's difficult not to have fun watching those little kids go at it.  Aiden now counts the days by when the next basketball game is.  He is absolutely giddy about it.  

The school week ended on a sad note.  Miriam's - the little cafe where the girls would wait after school every day - closed down on Friday.  We have so many fond memories of that place, from kindergarten field trips to first days of school to daily hang-out.  It has been a Coupeville institution owned and operated by a wonderful local family and will be sorely missed.






So already 2011 has brought a few surprises.  The plan for this year came from a very sweet encouraging email from a friend:  Stick to the basics, be diligent and wait to be amazed!!  Bring it on. 





|
This entry was posted on 4:52 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On January 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Kamie Beach said...

I'm so glad you've decided to start blogging again! I've missed your blogs! Mine are never perfect or even close...I just add pictures and whatever thought I am having while posting. LOL

 
On January 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM , The Smiths said...

I have to agree with Kamie! I love your blog and I'm so glad you posted!! I do the same thing...throw some pictures on the blog and describe them! :O)